Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"The Gift of Love"

One of the blessings of listening to classical music stations is that they often broadcast some of the most beautiful music ever written and performed for the glory of God.

I was inspired to write this short entry because of one such blessing. My favorite station played a beautiful performance of "The Gift of Love." The sacred text was inspired by 1 Corinthians 13; the tune is a beautiful English melody. What a wonderful example of God's common grace: that I would be able to worship God via a secular, publicly funded, music station.

Here are the lyrics to the hymn "The Gift of Love."

Though I may speak with bravest fire, / and have the gift to all inspire, / and have not love, my words are vain, / as sounding brass, and hopeless gain.

Though I may give all I possess, / and striving so my love profess, / but not be given by love within, / the profit soon turns strangely thin.

Come, Spirit, come, our hearts control, / our spirits long to be made whole. / Let inward love guide every deed; / by this we worship, and are freed.

I wish I could replicate the music here, but I'll simply refer you to my favorite hymnal Worship & Rejoice selection #397 or you can order the album, titled "Our Love" from Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment