Saturday, June 11, 2011

Full-Body Worship

Earlier this week I witnessed a swearing-in ceremony in which several hundred immigrants became citizens of the United States of America. During the proceedings I took note of postures, gestures and words. The new citizens were asked to stand, to raise the right hand and to recite the oath of citizenship. Later, all of us, new citizens and observers alike, stood with hands over hearts to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We all stood attentively, facing the flag, as we sang the national anthem.

As I observed all of this, it dawned on me that the oldest branches of Christianity observe a similar protocol. We kneel to confess our sins. We stand to affirm our allegiance to God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Near the end of the creed we make the sign of the cross as a visible confession of our faith in Christ whose death on the cross made it possible for us to receive eternal life. Indeed, there are postures, gestures and words for us to use throughout the liturgy.

The worship settings I participated in most of my life fostered worship that is word-oriented. That was fine as far as it went, but worship lacked a full-body response. We stood from time to time, mostly to sing hymns; but standing and sitting never seemed purposeful. Now that I worship in the Anglican tradition I understand that rising, sitting, kneeling, extending a gesture of peace and making the sign of the cross are done for a reason. They give reading, singing and listening greater meaning.

I am thankful that we used appropriate postures, gestures and words a few days ago as the new citizens were sworn in. I am even more thankful that my fellow followers of Jesus Christ use appropriate postures, gestures and words as we worship the true and living God. That full-body worship helps me, as the Apostle Paul expressed it, present my body as a living sacrifice to God. May it continue forever.

2 comments:

  1. Stan, a couple of things. There are those on the other end of the liturgical spectrum who very much engage in "full-body worship", namely those demonstrative folks in what we term today as the Pentecostal and Charismatic traditions - among others; new though this may be to some folk this demonstrative element goes back to ancient times. If dancing isn't full-body worship what is?

    Also, I'd like to respectfully, and affectionately, suggest that your reference to "the oldest branches of Christianity" is not a view that everyone shares, including (as I understand him) 19th Century Anglican bishop and Early Church scholar J.B. Lightfoot. I recall an observation of his to the effect that the polemic nature of some 2nd Century writing arguing for the bishopric (as we essentially know it today)indicates that it was not the 1st Century norm. Obviously too broad a subject to deal with here but thought I'd mention it.

    Thanks for sharing your pilgrimage! Love Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, Thanks for your gracious comments which prompt me to further clarify that which I was trying to express.

    First, the swearing-in ceremony reminded me that very few Christians object to the protocol required for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem; yet many Protestants object to using their bodies (especially the sign of the cross) to swear allegiance to the true and living God. Raising one’s hands in worship and liturgical dance are certainly bodily expressions of thanksgiving to God, but they are different sorts of worship than I had in mind. Lifting one’s hands in praise is analogous to cheering for a sports team, while dance is analogous to a marching band at a football game.

    Second, as I was writing the blog, I wondered if the phrase “the oldest branches of Christianity” was the best way to say what I had in mind. Perhaps it would be better to say “the Anglican, Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic branches of Christianity observe a similar protocol.” Spiritual descendents of Zwingli, Wesley and, to a large extent, Calvin resist the sort of full-body allegiance-swearing that I had in mind.

    Thanks again for your response. Stan

    ReplyDelete