Saturday, April 13, 2013

Our Risen Lord, Incognito?

During Eastertide I have been meditating on the appearances of our risen Lord. Part of the joy is discovering new things along the way. For example, I noticed that several of Jesus’ closest followers didn’t recognize him at first.

Saint John says that, at first glance, Mary Magdalene thought Jesus was the gardener (John 20:14-15). The fishermen-disciples didn’t immediately identify the one who told them to throw their nets on the right side of the boat to catch some fish (John 21:4-6). And Saint Luke comments that the two on the road to Emmaus were kept from recognizing Jesus when he walked and talked with them along the way (Luke 24:16).

What’s going on here? Was our Lord’s body remarkably different than it had been before his resurrection? Did Peter and his companions simply have trouble seeing the Lord a hundred yards offshore? Did Jesus come across as incognito on purpose? Or did God simply keep all of these disciples from recognizing the risen Lord? We don’t know the full story.

As I continued to meditate, I realized that Jesus assumed a different role on each occasion. To Mary Magdalene he was the gardener. To the seven disciples on the lake he was the wise fisherman. And to those walking home from Jerusalem he was the rabbi or teacher. Did Jesus dress differently for each occasion? Again, we don’t know.

But we do know that Jesus told his disciples that he would be with us “always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20). And we do know that Jesus said that he would appear to us as the one who is hungry or thirsty. He would come as the stranger, the one who is sick or in need of clothing, or as the prisoner needing a visit (Matthew 25:31-46).

Certainly the Lord has come to us in various (dare I say) disguises since his ascension. I am sure he has appeared to me in a variety of forms on many occasions. Notably, he came as a stranger in a bookstore, nearly forty years ago, to prompt me to change how my wife and I were managing our money. Just recently the Lord appeared, as my wife, to convey an important message. Surely Jesus has come incognito more than I realize.

I am sure he appears to you too. So be on the lookout for the risen Lord: He wants to change your life when he comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment