Monday, October 15, 2012

New Directions

“When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, ‘Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.’”  Luke 19:5

The story of Zacchaeus has long been a favorite of mine. As a child I sang the cute ditty that begins, “Zacchaeus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he.” More than two decades ago I heard a sermon about the wealthy chief tax collector from Jericho who wanted to see who Jesus was. That sermon inspired me to preach several sermons about the one who gave half his possessions to the poor and paid back four times the amount he had extorted from hapless victims.

I am reminded of Zacchaeus, once again, as I engage in the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius. The founder of the Society of Jesus counsels us to free ourselves from hindrances to praise, reverence, and service to the Lord our God.[1] Zacchaeus is Exhibit A.

His transformation was truly remarkable: It’s in stark contrast to the rich ruler’s response when Jesus told him he lacked one thing: “Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me” (Luke 18:23).

The scant details describing Zacchaeus’ day with Jesus in Luke 19:1-10 tempt me to fill the gaps with more information. Instead, I’ll simply record my thoughts as I ponder this short story about a short man. Consider these salient points.

Zacchaeus wants to see who Jesus is.
He doesn’t merely want to see Jesus: He longs to be in the presence of this extraordinary person, to see Jesus for himself. But a short man like Zacchaeus can’t see, or even get close to, him without some help.

I also think Zacchaeus fears reprisal by the crowd. After all, he’s the chief tax collector of Jericho, the one people love to hate. So he devises a clever plan to run ahead and climb a sycamore-fig tree, for Jesus is coming that way. We might say that Zacchaeus “goes out on a limb” to see who Jesus is.

The kind of tree he chooses is also significant. It’s easy to climb and it has big leaves; so he can see, but not be seen. Zacchaeus is used to climbing, for he’s at the top of his profession. And his M.O. as a tax collector is to be secretive.

Zacchaeus gladly welcomes Jesus.
His desire is rewarded, for Jesus comes to the exact spot, looks up, and says, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” So Zacchaeus, like ripe fruit falling into Jesus’ hand, scrambles down and welcomes him gladly.

But no one else is glad. Our text says that when all the people—disciples, townspeople, and religious leaders alike—see this, they begin to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.” Some are probably thinking, “This is the last straw. We’ve got to get rid of this menace once and for all.” Remember, Jesus’ passion is just around the corner.

Zacchaeus joyfully gives away his wealth.
I’m disappointed that Luke doesn’t describe Jesus’ visit to Zacchaeus’ house. I’d love to see the reaction of Zacchaeus’ household as Jesus walks through the door. I want to hear some of their dinner conversation. I’m curious about Jesus’ words and demeanor that prompts his friend to open hands and heart.

Fortunately we can hear Zacchaeus express his life-altering decision. I picture the two standing together, after dinner, in front of all of those complainers. Zacchaeus shouts, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” Would he have anything left?

Salvation comes to Zacchaeus’ house.
Jesus’ response is the crowning event of the day, for he declares, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.” That’s good news for Zacchaeus. It’s also good news for his household. At the foot of the tree Jesus had shouted, “I must stay at your house today.” Now he confirms, “Salvation has come to this house.” It makes sense for Zacchaeus’ household to share in the blessings.

Membership in Abraham’s family is among the blessings. It surely feels different for Zacchaeus to be called a son of Abraham than to be cursed with other names. And it’s “Mission Accomplished” for Jesus: “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

I wonder if Zacchaeus ever regrets his decision. Does he wake up in a cold sweat some mornings wondering, “What have I done?” Perhaps. But I think he keeps his commitment. Zacchaeus’ new direction reminds us that u-turns are possiblebecause of Jesus.

For Reflection and Discussion
1. Do you long to see who Jesus is? What stirrings from within convey this desire?

2. What hinders you from seeing who Jesus is?

3. Is Jesus calling you to come down?

4. What hinders you from praise, reverence, and service to the Lord our God? Do you long to be released?

5. What is your reaction to Zacchaeus’ remarkable decision?



[1] George E. Ganns, S.J. editor, The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius (Chicago: Loyola Press, 1992), 32.

No comments:

Post a Comment